The Amateur Film Critic

A blog about films.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Do The Right Thing


Okay before people yell at me for only giving this four stars (I think it has a 100% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes) let me explain. I am not a fan of Spike Lee's work--I do think he is a talented filmmaker--just not my cup of tea. The message of the movie is political, and relevant, &c. but I just don't understand some of his choices as a director. Mainly, why after he was defending Sal and the pizzeria is he (Mookie) the one to throw the trash can, thereby starting the riot. He didn't have as a strong a motive as Martin Lawrence's character or Buggin' Out, who would have been more logical choices. Likewise, the full frontal nudity was just out of place. The whole scene of Mookie playing hookey and rubbing his girlfriend with ice was just out of place and disjointed the flow of the screenplay. However, this is one of the most socially relevant movies of the 1990s and is a good representation of Spike Lee's work, so I suggest watching it all the same.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home